Sunday, December 03, 2006

Overheard at Chipperfields' ... Part LIX ...

"Um ..." Ross paused before spoke, "How are you Rev?" he turned with a forced smile to greet The Rev who was standing behind him holding a take out coffee cup in one hand and a tiny plastic lid plug in the other.

"Good morning Ross," said The Rev, his tone flat, his face expressionless, "something you want to tell me?" as he spoke the take out coffee cup with the cup sleeve bearing his likeness moved slightly upward and towards Ross.

"Oh that?" Ross swallowed as he glanced over towards Jaydee and Kriss who were standing behind the counter watching to see what was about to transpire. The two customers standing in line waiting for their orders were equally enraptured by the unfolding of events.

Drawing a breath Ross continued, "Um ... well ..." he hesitated again, "Well, it's like this ..."

The Rev stared at Ross. Behind Ross sitting at the table with a broad grin on his face sat J--, who was taking obvious delight in what was unfolding before him.

"Ross?" The Rev's tone remained flat, "What were you thinking?" as he spoke he jiggled the cup again drawing attention to the advertisement on the cup sleeve for the Prairie Spring Ministry.

"I guess that's the point," Ross chuckled as he spoke, "I wasn't really thinking. I was just trying to get something going, and the idea of making some money got the better of me."

"Making money?" asked The Rev, his voice remaining monotone.

"Yeah," answered Ross a smile cracking his face, the red in his cheek diminishing, "I've already gotten letters about this stuff."

"The packages of Holy Water?" asked The Rev.

"And your sermons," answered Ross moving past The Rev to the counter where Kriss and Jaydee suddenly resumed their duties and tried to pretend that they hadn't been listening or watching the drama unfolding in the corner. Ross ducked down behind the counter and pulled out a cardboard storage box that he opened as he stepped back towards The Rev. "This is the mail we got this week alone. There's over forty letters in here, all with donations."

"Mail?" asked The Rev remaining unmoved, "Donations? How long have you been doing the cup sleeves to be getting mail and donations?"

"Oh no," answered Ross, "the mail isn't from the cup sleeves. The mail is from the advertisements I've put in a bunch of regional publications and monthly newspapers letting people know about this bold new preacher and his ministry."

"And you were going to tell me when?" asked The Rev.

"When he cut you the first cheque," answered J--, laughing while he sat at the table.

"The first cheque?" ventured The Rev, "you were planning to buy me off?"

"No, nothing like that," answered Ross, his voice sounding choked, "I wouldn't try to buy you off. I know you're not interested in the cash. I wanted the ministry to be up and running and successful, then I was going to let you in on it."

"You're using my sermons and writings," replied The Rev quietly, "and you weren't going to tell me until you felt it was successful. Did you think you could keep me in the dark about this forever."

"Yup," said J-- slapping the table as he laughed, "He had you pegged as a mushroom."

"A mushroom?" asked The Rev, a slight smile crossing his face, "keep me in the dark and feed me horsesh..."

"Not exactly," interupted Ross, "I never thought of you as a mushroom. I just wanted to know this was going to work before I got your hopes up."

"My hopes up?" pressed The Rev, "why would I have hopes about some online and mail order ministry? I'm interested in the work I have to do here."

"Yeah, but this is a way for lots of people to connect with your stuff," replied Ross smiling until he noticed that The Rev wasn't smiling.

"Ross, I'm not interested in having lots of people connecting with my stuff, I have enough to do here with the work I do in this community," The Rev's head shook imperceptibly.

"Busted," laughed J-- from the corner. Kriss and Jaydee both looked up briefly and smiled as they went back to their work.

Ross opened his mouth to speak, but paused as he noticed Bonnie walking out of the kitchen and heading up to the cash register. Ross' eyes followed Bonnie as she walked up the front. The Rev and J-- both followed Bonnie, which in turn drew Bonnie's attention. She paused in front of the cooler and noted the three men watching her.

"What?" asked Bonnie, smiling nervously.

"Nothing," muttered Ross, "nothing at all."

Bonnie's eyes narrowed and she stepped up to the till. Then glancing to her left she noticed the stack of cup sleeves and the bowl of lid plugs. She gasped and reached out to the bowl. Picking up one of the plugs she turned it around in her fingers, examining carefully the tiny picture of Ross that was prominent on the top of the plug. Bonnie cast a withering glare at Ross as she glanced down again and picked up one of the cup sleeves and looked at the advertisement on it for the Prairie Springs Ministry. Bonnie closed her eyes before drawing a breath.

"Ross," Bonnie's voice sounded far calmer than she felt inside, "what have you done?"

"Busted," laughed J--, again striking the table top with his hand.

"You said that already," observed Ross, glancing quickly at J--.

"Yeah but this time I mean it," laughed J--, shaking his head.

"Honey," Ross offered hopefully, "Let me explain ..."

No comments: