Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Overheard at Chipperfields' ... Part XLI ...

It was a cool fall evening when the two grade five teachers from Tanner's Crossing school came in from their walk around the dam. They paused to have coffee before going back to thier respective homes to get ready for the next day.

After ordering their coffees, they carried the mugs to the couches at the front and sat down. They then began chatting about life stuff.

"I think I'm going to have to start exercising more," said Carla, "I find I'm so tired by the end of the school day."

"Yeah, me too," said Debbie, with a broad smile, "You're just lucky to still be single, you don't have added pressures of a partner to contend with."

"There are down sides to being single you know," laughed Carla.

"Sure, whatever." replied Debbie, "So you want exercise more?"

Carla nodded, "More walking I think would be good."

"More walking?" scoffed Debbie, "You walk EVERYWHERE now ... how can you walk more?"

"More intentional walking," replied Carla, enunciating the syllables like she was talking to one of her students.

Debbie looked at her with a serious glance before breaking into a broad toothy smile. "I get it." she laughed, "I'm not one of your students."

"No, that's true," answered Carla taking a sip from her coffee, "they're much smarter then you."

"Nice," snapped Debbie with a smile, "any you claim to be my friend."

"So, getting back to the subject at hand," ventured Carla, "The other thing I want to do is watch what I eat more carefully."

"Yeah, that's a good idea, you're sooooooo out of shape and overweight," scoffed Debbie.

"That's not what I mean," said Carla, "do you realize what is in lots of our food today. I want to go organic all the way. I want to eat healthily."

"Organic?" asked Kriss as she was cleaning off the table next to the couches, "why would you want to go Organic?"

"To avoid the chemicals and pesticides and all that," said Carla, "one of my kids brought in an article that talked about the bad stuff in our food. It was scary."

"That's why I'm becoming a vegetarian," said Kriss.

"You want to grow your own food and avoid the chemicals and stuff?" asked Debbie.

"And cut down on the cholestoral that comes from meat?" asked Carla.

"No, nothing like that," said Kriss, her blue eyes sparkling, "I just really, really hate plants and it's my way of getting revenge."

No comments: