Tuesday, January 30, 2007

When the Premier Stopped by ...

Chipperfield's is the kind of place, you just never know who might stop by to enjoy a coffee ... today The Premier of Manitoba, Gary Doer popped in for a coffee before attending a meeting in town ...

Today was one of those stranger than any fiction I could write moments ... I went up for coffee about 10:30 and sat at the table with J-- and a couple of other regulars. I was sitting with my back to the front door, but had a view of the door in the mirror behind J--'s head.

I heard the front door open, and glanced into the mirror to see who was coming in. I noticed a tall man with a very familiar face.

"Huh?" I said, "That's the premier ..." as all of us at the table turned and looked in disbelief ...

It was ... Premier Gary Doer had just strolled in the front door for a coffee ...

The first couple of pictures I took were with my cell phone camera (you can tell which ones those were ...), then I called home and asked the Mrs, to come for a hot apple cider and to bring my digital camera, ... I happily snapped a bunch of pictures of Gary and the folks in the shop to show Ross and Bonnie we weren't hallucinating ...

Gary sat for awhile with some of the regulars, and enjoyed a cup of Chipperfield's Own. In his own indominatible way, answered the many questions fielded to him by those sitting with him. Always the politician, he noted that his Government is aware of the challenges facing places like Minnedosa, and they have to balance the decisions they make with political and economic considerations ... and he noted that any decision will cost him votes one way or another ... Before he left he pressed the flesh and shook hands with all the folks in the shop ...
It wasn't a large crowd at Chipperfield's today, but they had the Premier's attention, and he sat and listened ...


Gary even offered to help the girls behind the counter filling orders ... he glanced around and noted that their set up was "a lot easier than when I had to serve tea on the passenger trains".

A Good Time was had by all ... and we appreciated Gary stopping by ... I hope he won't be a stranger, but will feel welcome to come back any time ... I also hope he enjoyed the visit as much as the rest of us did ...

... it just goes to show - when you have a quality establishment, you attract a quality crowd ... Too bad Bonnie and Ross were away ... Maybe next time !!??

1 comment:

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Whoo-hoo ... that's pretty cool.
Great photos.
Hope you are well.
Take care, Meow