Sunday, October 22, 2006

Overheard at Chipperfields ... Part XLVIII ...

“The nice thing about chain coffee shops is that no matter where you go to visit on, you know exactly what is on the menu,” observed J--. “you walk in the door and you can order your double double, and whatever kind of munchie you feel like. They are the same whether you in Victoria or St John’s or any point in between. It’s kind of comfortable.”

“Yeah, but what about the benefits of variety,” answered Ross, “do you really want to go to the Okanagan in BC and not have fresh apples in your baking?”

“Or do you want to go to southern Ontario in the spring and not have maple syrup?” asked one of the regulars sitting at the table with J—and Ross, “there is something to be said about the little mom and pop operations that reflect the town that they sit in.”

“True enough,” observed J--, “it is true that you can’t visit Chipperfields’ anywhere but MInnedosa, and the baking here is top notch …”

“Don’t put a ‘But’ in that sentence,” interrupted Ross, “if you say ‘BUT’ you’ll be taking a run at the lovely baking and ambience that makes this place so special.”

“You’re biased,” observed the regular smiling, “you’re too close to the owner.”

“That may be true,” said Ross, smirking “but would you really want to come to Chipperfields for a double, double and a maple dipped?”

“I’m not saying that,” laughed J--, “what I meant was, when you’re traveling long distances, it’s nice to be able to roll into a place and find the washrooms without too much difficulty, and God knows that at my age that’s important …”

“When I’m driving for work, it’s important to me too,” interrupted Ross, “and I’m a lot younger then you.”

“But it’s the ability to step up to the counter and say – ‘Coffee, and a muffin, or a particular donut or whatever …’” observed J--, “you don’t have to stand muddling around figuring out what you want. You JUST know … the menu is the same if you’re in Calgary, or Brandon or Kenora.”

“I still like the places like this that reflect the town in which they sit,” observed the regular.

“Me too,” said Ross, “I’ve been to many places and I’ve drank many cups of coffee, both good and bad, and I’d sooner have a bad cup of coffee in a funky little out of the way café, then a ‘good’, and I use that term loosely, cup in a chain anywhere.”

“Oh I agree,” said J--, “when I went out west, I had to get my coffee at the local chain outlet and it wasn’t nearly as nice as this place.”

“Is there anywhere as nice as here?” asked the regular.

“Absolutely not,” observed J--, “this place is one of a kind. Often imitated, but never replicated …”

Ross turned and looked at the counter, “Hey Jay-Dee,” he called, “can J—have decaf on his next refill? He’s waxing poetic again …”

“Thanks Ross,” laughed J--, “you’re always looking out for me. That’s why this place is home.”

"And like Dorothy said: There's no place like home ..." added Ross.

No comments: