Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Overheard at Chipperfield's ... part XIV ...

It still very early, the couch crew had just headed off to their day, Ross was grabbing a coffee for the road as he was getting ready to head off to work ... So, no one was expecting J-- just yet ... his "normal" arrival time was still an hour or more away ...

"Morning everybody," offered J-- as he walked in the front door.

"You're early," sputtered a shocked Jay-Dee.

"Yeah, I woke up early and decided I needed a Chipperfield's," offered Jim laughing.

Ross paused, a variety of work related paper work tucked under his arm, "Morning J--, I'd offer you a hand, but I haven't got one free ..."

"No problem," replied J--, still smiling, "Oh, Happy Anniversary ..."

"Thanks," returned Ross, a little confused, "but the anniversary was last week, not today."

"Oh, I don't mean the anniversary of Chipperfield's, I mean today's anniversary. Don't you remember what you were doing 30 years ago today?" a sly smile crossed J--'s face.

"Thirty years ago, umm ..." Ross hesitated, "I'm not sure what I was doing thirty years ago today ..."

"Oh Ross, how could you forget," J-- was now laughing, "It was such a momentous event. It was unforgettable ..."

"What happened thirty years ago today?" asked Jay-Dee, clearly exasperated by the exchange.

"Yeah," chimed in Joanie.

Even Bonnie was drawn by the conversation. Perhaps she sensed a pending moment of embarassment for Ross that she didn't want to miss.

"Oh, you are just sad," laughted J--, "I can't believe you forgot what today's anniversary is?"

"J--," Joanie's voice had a sharp edge, "tell us what happened 30 years ago today?"

"Yes sir," snapped J--, offering a military salute.

"Thirty Years ago today in Montreal at the 76 Olympics, Nadia Comaneci, landed her perfect score for her gymnastics routine. Remember?" the corner of Jim's mouth turned up in a mischievious smile.

"Um, no ... I didn't remember" offered Ross hesitently, "I'm impressed."

"You read that some where," offered Bonnie skeptically.

Jay-Dee and Joanie's eyes were wide with wonder and anticipation, both sensing this was going somewhere ...

"No," offered J-- with a dismissive wave of his hand, "I didn't read it. I am a HUGE fan of gymnastics. I just remember exactly what I was doing 30 years ago, and I was so struck by Nadia's performance that I have NEVER (he stretched out the syllables of never), forgotten her performance, or the fact that she went home to Romania with three gold medals, a silver and a bronze. How could you ever forget such an incredible performance." With a flourish, J-- raised his coffee mug in a toast to Nadia and took a sip.

"Wow," Ross was clearly awestruck, "I'm impressed. You learn something new about your customers every day. I never knew you were a gymnastics fan J--. And that you remembered something like Nadia Comaneci's performance to THE DAY, is just impressive."

"Yeah," J-- shrugged and offered a humble smile, "I'm a man of suprises."

"I'll say," replied Ross as he turned and headed for the door and his day of business visits. He was muttering, "Unbelievable, he actually remembered her perforance ... I can't beleive it ..." as he headed out the door.

Bonnie's eyes narrowed, "I think you read it somewhere this morning, and you're just trying to impress us ..."

"Oh," J-- feigned hurt, "I'm wounded that you would be so suspicious of me ..."

"Yeah sure," Bonnie laughed as she turned and headed back to the office, "you look wounded ..."

Joanie and Jay-Dee were still standing at the counter staring at J-- with smiles on their faces.

"You DID read that somewhere didn't you?" asked Joanie, her voice a slight whisper.

J-- leaned in over the counter, "Yeah," he answered in a whisper, sharing the conspiracy with them, "I read it in an almanac I was flipping through this morning when I was eating my toast at home, "I just like messing with Ross' mind ... and it seemed like a good way to do it today."

The three of them burst into laughter as J-- picked up his coffee and headed to one of the tables ...

"Thanks J--" Jay-Dee offered with a smile, "you just brightened our day ..."

"You're welcome," replied J-- as he sat down and awaited the arrival of the other morning regulars ...

No comments: